Thursday, April 26, 2012

Assuming The Supernatural...

At this point, I think I've enumerated most of my good arguments against Theism in general.  And I'm finding that, when considering different religions and different sects within the same religion, I'm getting bogged down by questions of metaphysics rather than questions of theology.  While the two are by no means mutually exclusive, I do think there's been an element of not-taking-this-religion-stuff-seriously in a lot of my posts, and more to the point, in a lot of my thinking.

The truth is, I'm about 50/50 on whether or not I think there's a "supernatural" anything.  The half of me that believes in the supernatural is the same half that rejects Nihilism.  The half of me that doesn't thinks we're meaningless bags of atoms hurtling towards our inevitable doom.  The second, it turns out, is a much less interesting half.

I'm going to try and make an effort over over the next few weeks, starting with my next post, to consider the case where I am convinced that there is something more than the physical world, and the problem has been reduced to deciding which of these religions, if any, seem to be the best fit with my observations and reason.  I'm going to mark these posts in the "ATS" category (assuming the supernatural), so I don't have to write this long paragraph every time about how I'm arguing for things with only a 50% buy-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment